Liberal guilt
It must be nice to buy peace of mind for $79.95. That's right, 80 bucks enables you to slap a glorified bumper sticker on your SUV that says you support clean energy.
Hmm, do I detect a note of hypocrisy?
I'm all for clean energy. That's why I don't own an SUV. Or a car. And I ride a hybrid-electric bus on my commute. Go me.
But even if I did own a car, and tried to rationalize it as "necessary," I wouldn't be stupid enough to think that paying for a bumper sticker meant I could drive an SUV and still be an "environmentalist." I understand the need to cope with guilt and the discomfort that comes from polluting; why else would limousine liberalism exist? But if you really needed a gas guzzler, you wouldn't be so damn preoccupied with rationalizing it. And you sure as hell wouldn't buy something so stupid as a TerraPass.

1 Comments:
Being someone who DOES own a (compact) car and thus takes umbrage at being told it is not "necessary," I feel compelled to point out to the world your dirty little secret: You totally lust for a Camry.
A *car*!
Now, how about you try riding a bike for 10 miles to school this summer when it's 110? I'm perfectly willing to drive alongside and cheer you on from my air-conditioned comfort zone. And poor water on your head when you pass out. ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home